Just a Thought

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Just my dumb luck!

Wow, I cannot believe my luck. I love thunderstorms and I love to take pictures of lightening. My husband is always bugging me about it because he feels I take too much of a risk standing outside with my camera and tripod trying to get the picture of a bolt. So in early July a storm came through and I was outside trying to get a good shot and could not get one. The storm got too close for comfort so I came inside. So I decided to head to the computer to work on a project. That's right work on the computer during a lightening storm, I know not the smartest thing. Anyhow, all of a sudden a large bolt hits right over our house and a large cracking sound came into the house and a spark appeared in mid air near my hand that was on the mouse! I freaked out and ran away from the computer. My husband asked what that was. He saw the spark. My hand felt funny and I looked down and saw a black mark on the tip of one of my fingers. I think some of the lightening went through my mouse, my hand and out my finger tip!! It ached really good for awhile, but I was fine other wise. I look at my husband and say, "See I am much safer outside taking pictures!" So this week another storm comes through. This one is huge! I get freaked out trying to take pictures when I see the bolts coming down in from of the homes right across the street. I know it is time to head inside to safety (ya right!). So I come in and we open all the blinds to watch the storm. I was actually scared of this storm. All of a sudden another bolt hits right over our house and we hear lines crackling and frying in our house near the phone. So the next day we discover our phone lines are fried!! We can call out, but no one can call in and when someone tries, the phone does not ring it makes just one small crackly chirp sound. Poor phone, I think I faired better with my strike!! So I guess lightening can strike twice! Anyhow here is some pics of lightening that I have taken. The first one I took in Eastern Washington 2 years ago and was WAY to close to it. The others are taken within the last couple of months here on the East Coast.























2 comments:

Ferrill said...

Cool lightning pics! My hubby likes to go outside and take lightning pics too. About a month ago I was backing out of my driveway. All at once there was lightning, thunder and I felt like I had hit something. I wasn't sure what had happened, but later when I turned off the ingnition, the car wouldn't start again. Turns out I was hit by lightning and it blew some fuses. Wild stuff!

The Bennett Bunch said...

Yikes!! That is scary!! Good thing you were in the car and it was grounded.